This year's contest was again extremely tight between the winning bar and the runners up, including the Navi Bar in Glucksburg, Germany, The King & Queen in Hamble, GB, the Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club, the Royal Bermuda Yacht Club, the Bitter End Yacht Club in the BVI, the Pierview in Cowes on the Isle of Wight, the Candy Store in Newport, Rhode Island, Gladstone's in Long Beach, California, and the Sailor's Inn in Gocek, Turkey.
Ritu Manocha, owner of 50° North, the company behind Wight Vodka, said "This contest is just too much fun to run. Though we've never been to the Sint Maarten Yacht Club, it's definitely on our list of bars to visit. The team at Sint Maarten will receive a trophy and bottle of Wight to celebrate their win, as well as a few Wight Vodka regatta caps for their win. Many congratulations and let the party begin!"
Ritu continued "We again asked participants to comment about their favourite bar. We received thousands of fantastic submissions, and our favourite entries this year include:
- I was stung by a school of jellyfish and the bar tender brought me the best Pain Killer ever!
- The Dark and Stormies are the perfect sailor's libation, because you can drink more of them than those Wight Martinis!
- The club is across the road from the village pump!
- If you are a sailor and fed up with having to dress up to go to a yacht club and then being dragged into club politics, this bar is for you!
- It has the best brick oven pizza south of Chicago
- Great staff, amazing rum punch, wonderful company, superb sailing and beautiful women. It feels like the waiting room of Paradise!
- It's the place to watch as £$£$£$£ worth of mega yachts squeeze through the Bridge opening as the sun goes down.
- I can count on John to tell me great stories and ply me with drinks.
- The Tarte Flambee is awesome!
- An eclectic mix of clientele, from the young guns of yachting to those whose glory days may be receding rapidly into the past.
- And has the best bar bell challenge, which often leads to the compass room stairs bobsleigh run.
- Everyone who visits knows that when the club is in party mood, it is a very dangerous animal indeed.
- It's just perfect, because sometimes they cancel the "last order" and simply leave the bar open.
- Ice cold beers, hard core sailors from all over the world and the most beautiful Brazilian girls dancing from dusk till dawn.
- I found my ex boyfriend there...
About The Sint Maarten Yacht Club
The Sint Maarten Yacht Club started life as a modest clubhouse in 1999, and has since evolved into one of the Caribbean's favourite yachting destinations. The SMYC's open air clubhouse is located on the waterfront of Simpson Bay Lagoon, right next to the bridge. The St. Maarten Yacht Club is also the home of the St. Maarten Regatta, known throughout the Caribbean and indeed the world, as a wonderful week of world class racing, after race parties and "serious fun." For more information on the SMYC please visit www.smyc.com.
About 50° North
50° North are the creators of Wight Vodka. The company's spirit and enthusiasm for the ocean, coupled with the centuries-old regatta traditions of the Isle of Wight (and of course a full appreciation of superior vodka!) culminated in the creation of the world's smoothest, 42% ABV potato-based vodka. One sip of Wight Vodka will make a believer out of the most discerning connoisseur, and the company welcomes your joining a unique and elite class.
Tack & Gybe Responsibly.